Friday, November 26, 2010

Pets: The time I almost lost Bella

by Crystal Canole

I have never thought of having to give CPR to my dog untill an event occured that could have been tragic. My dog is a boxer and she does not swim that well but decent.  She absolutely loves the water though so during the summer I take her to rivers and lakes often. 

One day we were swimming in the river and the current was fairly high.  She had her life jacket on her and I was throwing her water toy for her.  After a while, she did not seem like she wanted to play anymore.  She proceeded to walk to a rock bed and lay down.  This was very unusual behavior for my dog becasue she has high enrgey and always wants to play.


I figured she was just tired.  I started skipping rocks and did not think anything of it.  Then Kevin called over to me and said that Bella did not look good.  Her eyes were droppy and she looked like she was going to pass out.  Hurriedly we called her over but she would not get up.  Kevin picked her up and we raced her back to the car that was about a mile away.

We got her in the car and she started trying to fall asleep.  Kevin and I both know that when a human gets cold and wants to go to sleep you do not let them.  It was about 95 degrees out, but we rolled up the windows and cranked the heat.  He started poking her trying to keep her awake.  We drove to the nearest veterinary hospital we knew and they said they would not help her.

I called my vet who is about 15 miles away and told them what had happened and that I was raciing her in.  In order to keep her awake Kevin had to keep sticking his finger down her throat and choking.  When we finally got to the vet's, she recognized the car had stopped and jumped up.  All of a sudden she was fine.  I still took her in and explained to them that she seemed fine now, but they checked her over and agreed she was okay now.

Pet First Aid: Cats & DogsThey explained that what had happened was that her body temperature had fell from the cold river water and the exertion of swimming against current and worn her out.  They said we did the right thing, and to be careful with her when he are playing in rivers and current. 

I was thankful of my vet for immediately seeing me and bringing me in the back door to treat her as soon as I got there.  If your in the detroit metro area, I would definetly recommend North Gratiot Vet.  This incident has taught me that there is knowledge out there that I can learn to save my dog.  Although I did the right thing this time, if something else happened I may not have known what to do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment